Vodka is the most popular liquor for cocktails. The name vodka comes from the Slavic word voda, meaning water. It is a versatile spirit, included in many classic cocktails like a Martini, Moscow Mule, and a Screwdriver.
Yet, despite the fact that most everyone has tried vodka and used it in many cocktails, there are a lot of things we don’t know about it.
Here are seven facts about vodka you never knew:
- A teaspoon of sugar with a few drops of vodka helps keep flowers fresher longer.
- Vodka is lighter than water. 1 liter of water weights 1,000 grams, while 1 liter of vodka weighs 953 grams.
- The most expensive vodka in the world, Billionaire Vodka, costs $3.75 million a bottle. It’s filtered though ice, Nordic birch charcoal and sand made from crushed diamonds and gems.
- Vodka soothes a jellyfish sting. It helps disinfect the wound and alleviate some of the pain.
- Ripping off a Band-Aid is a lot easier when it is soaked in vodka! The vodka helps dissolve the adhesive.
- Moisten a soft, clean cloth with vodka to shine chrome, glass, and porcelain fixtures.
- We haven’t tried this ourselves, but adding vodka to your shampoo is supposed to make your hair healthier and shinier.
- Bonus: Most popular vodka recipes on CocktailBuilder: Stairway to Heaven, Cosmopolitan, Soylent Green, Pink Polar Bear, Country Club Lemonade
Did you enjoy these facts? Want to learn more about vodka? We recommend reading “Vodka: How a Colorless, Odorless, Flavorless Spirit Conquered America” ($19).
Photo credit: trendhunter.com